1) Via my friend Paula, a vital discussion about the effects of cost transparency in the U.S. health care market
. "Keith Smith, the co-founder of the center, said that it had been posting prices for the last 4 of its 16 years. He knew something was happening, he said, when people started coming from Canada. ( Read more...Collapse )
2) The BBC re-reported a Forbes article about highest grossing authors
. I found something interesting about that though. The top 1-2 people are E.L. James ($95 million) and James Patterson ($93 million). They note " James's success is almost unprecedented, said Forbes, as most of the names on its annual list are established authors whose earnings derive from sales of their extensive back catalogues... James Patterson, meanwhile, will release his 115th book later this year. " ( Read more...Collapse )
3) Nothing much to say other than this is horrific
. If a principal's child has little recourse, what chance has the average student? Those adults that supported these actions? Monsters.
4) Perhaps on a related note, this is a very long response to a rant about potential changes to American football
. However, I found so much of it amusing it was time to break out the snacks while reading. The tl;dr version -- some people have no self-awareness.
5) Coming across recs on Tumblr is great except when it seems they go to long stories NOT on AO3 :( I have been reading the Loaded March series which is a longfic series
and it took me about 2 weeks to catch up on it -- I can't even fathom trying to read that any other way but as a download. Comments at Dreamwidth .